My Grandpa passed away last week. (Seem like deja vu to anyone else?) This time it was my dad's dad, and it wasn't quite as sudden or unexpected. He'd been in the hospital for the last couple of weeks after falling and breaking some ribs. Things just kept going downhill and each new problem led to more problems. I didn't get to be there to visit him in the hospital, but I know it was hard for everyone down there to see him like that. We knew it was only a matter of time before his body would just get tired of fighting. I guess for Grandpa it was good it was sooner rather than later. He had waited 10 years to be re-united with his wife, my Grandma, and I know he was anxious to see her. It makes me smile to think about them in Heaven together! :-)
We went down to Texas for the funeral service this past weekend. There was a viewing and then the funeral was right afterwords there at the church. Lots of friends and relatives came, and it was really nice to visit with everyone. My mom set out a table full of pictures and things that my Grandpa made as well as badges from his uniform and the Purple Heart Award from when he served in the Army during WWII. Because he was a veteran, the local VFW was at the cemetery for the graveside service. They folded the flag that had been covering the casket, did the 21 gun salute, and played taps. It was very touching. Grandpa was very proud of his country and his service in the Army. I know he would've been pleased.
It was so nice to be there with my family and celebrate the life and memory of Grandpa. We had the chance to sit around and share stories from his life and I learned a lot of things I didn't know about my Grandpa before. It was inspiring to hear people talk about his dedication, work ethic, and friendliness (among other things that they remembered about him). It has made me want to be a better person so I can live up to the legacy he left behind. I am proud to be a member of his family and proud to be his granddaughter.
Here are a few pictures of my Grandpa with the family from last Christmas:
And here is a picture of Grandpa, my Dad, my brother, and my nephew. The Talbot (and Barney) men! :-)
We'll miss you, Grandpa. Family gatherings won't be the same without your smile, humor, and love. Until we meet again...
Wednesday, October 13, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



I'm so sorry about your grandpa Jenn! Wow. Seems like things like this all happen at the same time. I met your grandpa and he was a kind, funny man. I'm sure he will be missed, but I bet he's also glad to be with his wife again. Your family is in my thoughts and prayers.
ReplyDeleteLove the tribute!
ReplyDeleteLosing someone is always hard. I'm so sorry. Thank heaven we know that we will be with them again and we know that they are in a wonderful place. Much love and hugs. XOXO
ReplyDelete