Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Random Musings - The Truth About Laundry

Ahh laundry... the job that's never done.  I think I hate laundry for that very reason.  No matter how often you do the wash, you're always gonna hafta do it again in a few days.  Here are a few things I've learned about laundry:
        ~*You learn a lot about your strange laundry habits (and strange other habits too for that matter) when you have someone living with you who is not your spouse.
        ~*I know clothes get clean in the wash, but for some reason, Chris' socks still seem dirty to me when they come out of the dryer.  It is for this reason, and because I hate feet and everything associated with them, that I refuse to fold Chris' socks.  I place them in a neat pile on top of the rest of his clothes, but that's as good as it gets.
        ~*Not all laundry do-ers are created equal.  Some people (like my mom) can do all the laundry in one day - get it ironed, folded and put away between when they wake up and when they go to sleep.  Other people (sometimes me) prefer to do one load a day so that the laundry doesn't take all day to do.  Still others (let's face it, this one is really me) don't have a set pattern and do laundry when they run out of things to wear, when the piles get too high to tell that there is a laundry basket under them, or when their dog spills the water dish all over the kennel and in cleaning it up they realize that half of the towels in the house smell like wet dog.
        ~*No matter what time of day you start the load of laundry, you will inevitably end up running it while either you or your spouse needs to shower, which makes for either skipping the shower (never a good idea), waiting to shower until the load is done at which point all the hot water is gone even if you did a cold water load, or showering while the load is running which results in a shower with intermittent periods of freezing cold, low pressure water (also not a good idea because then it makes the shower-er grumpy).
        ~*Sometimes the hardest part of doing laundry is the putting it away part.  I am perfectly at east with the fact that we washed our sheets over the weekend and still haven't put them back on our bed yet.  We've been sleeping with blankets on top of our comforter.  I keep finding things to do that are more important or more fun.  Maybe tonight I'll start with the sheets....
        ~*Along the same lines as the above observation, let me just share one of my cleaning secrets.  Sometimes when I don't want to put a few random articles of clothing away that have been sitting out all week, I throw them in the dirty clothes hamper.  It's so much faster and easier!
        ~*The strangest truth about laundry in our house is that no matter when we start washing our whites load, it will always be the last load that we do and it will not get folded for at least 2 days after it finishes drying.  Even if we're on a roll doing multiple loads of laundry, something always happens when we get to the whites.  We've even tried to get smart and start with the whites, but again... something happens and the whites end up either sitting in the dryer or in the laundry basket clean and unfolded.  It's not that we're lazy, it's just that our whites are cursed!

And now to end on a positive note, my favorite things about laundry are the smell of clean clothes and the feeling of putting on warm socks right out of the dryer. I think that's about it.  Thank you, and goodnight!

7 comments:

  1. You are so funny. I am very Type A/OCD, so I have a set laundry schedule (Mondays and Thursdays). When something happens that throws it off it drives me crazy (aka puking kids, tee ball shirt needs to be clean, etc.). Laundry is just one of those jobs that, although never really done, doesn't overwhelm me. Cleaning the shower though. Now that one is my nemesis.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree on the putting away part. I think partially because I have too many clothes to fit in my dresser, and partially because, what's the good in putting it away if I'm going to wear it within the next couple of days? And for that reason, this whole week I've been sleeping on one side of my bed while the other half of my bed has some folded laundry on it that has been slowly dwindling all week. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it! The number one reason I dislike laundry is because it is a task that is never done. Yeah, you could do laundry naked, but still, it's never done! Aren't you glad, however, we don't have to go beat clothes on a rock in a stream somewhere?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha, I love this post! Just so you know, I'm a 1 or 2 load-a-day gal myself. I suppose that's one habit mom didn't pass on :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. our bedding has been washed for almost 2 weeks I'd say-well at least over 1 week if not closer to 2 and it's sitting on our bedroom floor. how sad is that. And I leave the whites in the dryer and we just grab our garments out of it until we have to rewash them in a couple days or take them out and sit them on top of the washer/dryer until we run out and rewash all of them. I'm the worst wife ever. lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ok so I must say that our laundry habits are almost exactly like yours. We typically have at least one basket of clean clothes somewhere that just needs to be put away :). I'm just glad I'm not the only one that does this...Spencer used to just leave his whites in the dryer, and grab them whenever he needed them, that way he never had to put them away :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. ROFL! You are too cute. I loved reading this. I am one of those people that does a load or 2 a day. My pet peeve is ironing. My Mom is the same as your Mom, they are superwomen. I feel the same way about socks too. :) I use OXY Magic with Clorox power. It works miracles on Jake's white socks. Good luck! XOXO

    ReplyDelete