Today I entered a giveaway on The Pioneer Woman website. (I'm a little bit obsessed with her blog and I check it religiously... don't judge.) To enter we just had to leave a comment naming our favorite book. This was really hard for me! I love reading, although it seems like I read in spurts. For a few months I'll voraciously devour any book I can get my hands on, and then I need a break for a few months before diving back in again.
I've read a lot of books in my day. From getting library books with my mom when I was young, to school reading, to now getting to read for fun again, there's nothing like getting lost in a good book. But, what is my favorite book?? What book has changed/shaped my life and made a lasting impact on me? It was really hard to choose just one.
So I went back to the beginning. Back to 4th grade and my favorite reading teacher, Mrs. Goolsby. We were old enough to read to ourselves, but she read to us anyways. Those were always everyone's favorite classes, too. She did different voices for each character, and she always seemed to pick the BEST books! I remember my favorite of all the books she read though, was Maniac Magee by Jerry Spinelli. It was the first time I ever remember being emotionally involved in a book. There were parts when the whole class almost cried, and then laughed, and then cried again.
It was such a good book, that I remembered it even after I left Mrs. Goolsby's class. One year for Christmas, I got the book for my brother and read it to him. I wished I could do all the cool voices like my teacher had done when she read it. But, voices or not, it was fun to pass my love of that book on to my brother. I think that's what makes a book really powerful. When it moves you emotionally, when you connect with it, when it drives you to want to share it with people you love, and when you remember it even though it's been years since you read it last.
Anyways, since I feel another one of those summer-reading spurts coming on, I want to hear what everyone else's favorite books are. I need some ideas of good books to read. I enjoyed my trip down memory-lane thinking about great books I've read and I'd love to add to the list. Anyone wanna share their favorite book?
Friday, May 7, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I LOVE reading and books!!! One of my all time favorites is Freckles by Gene Stratton Porter. It's kind of an old book, but I just love the sweet story. Makes me cry and smile and all those good things. I also really love The Goose Girl (or Books of Bayern series). There are 4 books in that series. Love them all! Let's see. Another favorite would have to be All Creatures Great and Small. Classic. Have fun reading this summer!
ReplyDelete"Last of the Breed" by Louis Lamour.
ReplyDelete"The Lone Survivor" (I am not sure who this one is by, but if you are sensitive to four letter words, I wouldn't recommend this one. I can tell you more about it if you would like).
"Ender's Game" by Orson Scott Card
"And They Were Not Ashamed" by Laura Brotherson
I entered that contest, too! My favorite is "A Little Princess" by Frances Hodgson Burnett. I still read kids books...all the time. I get to blame work. They're quick, easy and you don't have to worry about content. Some of my favorites are (and I'll try to give you a smattering of genres):
ReplyDelete"Ida B" by Katherine Hannigan
"I Am David" by Anne Holm
"Our Only May Amelia" by Jennifer Holm
"Number the Stars" by Lois Lowry
"Hattie Big Sky" by Kirby Larson
The Artemis Fowl series by Eoin Colfer
"Summer of the Monkeys" by Wilson Rawls
..and I could go on. But I will stop. Let me know if you want more ideas!
-Jessi
i totally remember maniac mcgee. we even had to do a book report and even map out the whole town on some big 5'x8' poster. good times in 4th grade!
ReplyDeleteI recently stumbled upon The Hunger Games and Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins. I haven't been so captivated by a book in a long time. The third of the trilogy comes out in Aug and I can't wait. As for a favorite of all time... not a clue. I just love to read and the closest library is an hour and a half away!
ReplyDeleteI just read 'These is My Words' for book club and loved it--I think you'd enjoy it too.
ReplyDelete