Friday, May 14, 2010

Time Well Wasted

Once upon a time I was a teenager in high school.  It's hard to believe I know, but it's true.  Anyways, I was listening to the song "Time Well Wasted" by Brad Paisley (love that song, by the way!) and it brought back a fun memory from my high school days.
I was sitting in class one day when I got a note from the office telling me to come down because my mother was there.  I hurried down, glad to be getting out of class and also worried that something was wrong.  My mom was waiting by the front office and told me to go get my stuff because she had signed me out of school for the rest of the day (only like an hour or so early, but still...).  So, I got all my books & junk together and then we left, but I still didn't know why?!  The conversation in the car went something like this:
Mom: We have to hurry because the movie's starting soon. 
Me: What movie?  What are you talking about??
Mom: Oh, I'm taking you to see Blue Crush.  I thought it would be fun!
I wish there were words to describe the smile on her face when I finally wrapped my teenage-punk brain around what was going on! :-)  My mom was so cool!  She had just signed me out of school to go see a movie!!  It was awesome!
Although the movie was just okay, it was really fun skipping school to see it with my mom.  I still remember it because that was the only time it ever happened, but I think that's what made it special.
So, thanks Mom for "wasting" your time with me that weekday afternoon.  I'm sure there were more important things you had on your To-Do list, but I'm really glad you blew them off that day.  That is Time Well Wasted in my book!

5 comments:

  1. Aren't moms just the best?!? My mom used to call us in sick for "mental health" days and then take us out to lunch. I always thought I had the coolest mom because of that. I hope that my kids think I'm fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hadn't thought about that in years! My grin is as big as Texas!! LYAYAC!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was always busy after school in high school with sports, but my mom would sometimes sneak me out of school (or sign me out, same thing) in middle school just to go shopping or do something fun! In high school I had senior study hall 7th period (where seniors didn't have to go to any class) and normal study hall 6th period, so my mom would always let me write a note excusing me for the day, she'd let me forge it, and I always left after 5th period and went home and hung out with my mom until I had to go back to school for practice. love love love moms!!! good memories.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, how cool. I've always thought your mom was pretty awesome. This just confirms it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Did we grow up in the same house?

    ReplyDelete