Sunday, November 15, 2009

Better late than Never

**WARNING: Lots of pictures and WAAYYY too much information for the casual reader! Proceed at your own risk!**

I'm kinda late in posting this, but since this blog is basically my journal I decided it's better to post this late than not at all. A couple weekends ago we went up to Rexburg to visit. Neither of us had ever been there and since we have some friends and a cousin living up there we figured it was about time to make the trip! We drove up after work on Friday and got there in time to meet up with our friends Emily & Eric and also Chris' cousin Mark for dinner at Craigo's. It's a pizza buffet and it was really good! Afterwards, we all went back to Emily & Eric's and played games. (Sorry I forgot to take pictures!)

Saturday we made the trek out to Yellowstone which was awesome! It was a gorgeous day and we got to see some amazing things....
A buffalo walking along the road



We literally could've reached out and touched him as we drove by. He seemed oblivious to the road, the people, and the cameras all around him. I'm sure he's fairly used to it all with all the visitors they get at Yellowstone. It was really cool to see one up so close!

Old Faithful! I think that's one of those things that is on everyone's list of things to see before they die. I'm glad we get to check it off our list. It was really cool, and I'm really glad that we got to see it, although it wasn't as big as Chris thought it would be. It was really funny to watch everyone get excited as it got closer and closer to erupting. When it finally shot up people started cheering! hahaha!



As we were driving around Yellowstone, we drove back and forth across the Continental Divide a couple of times. I made Chris roll down the window and take a picture of the sign (hence the crooked/blurry photo).




We also saw lots of birds, a few otters and then as we were leaving the park around dusk, we saw tons of elk! We saw 2 or 3 small herds of elk along the roadway grazing. The largest of the herds was in a big field. There was a mom and baby elk that were probably only 3 feet away from us. Here's a picture of the baby:


They are amazing animals. It was the closest I have ever been to an elk and the only time I've ever seen so many elk in person. We stopped along the side of the road and looked for a while to find the bull. We finally found him quite a ways back from the road and I tried to get a picture. Here's my attempt:


(We were far away, so sorry it's kinda blurry. I was zoomed in all the way on my camera and then I tried to crop and zoom the image on my computer so you could see him better.)

Also, just for fun, I thought this picture turned out kinda cool:

Too bad we didn't spell out something cool.

It was a quick trip, but it was really fun to see Mark and to spend some time with Eric & Emily. Thanks for getting married and living in Rexburg so we had an excuse to come visit!

3 comments:

  1. Yay for Yellowstone and yay for visiting a national park!! I highly encourage this behavior and the posting of pictures documenting such in the future! Have you had elk meat yet? It's divine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like reading about your adventures...keep 'em coming! P.S. Only one month to go!

    ReplyDelete