Thursday, September 9, 2010

Dear Friends... Please Help!

Ok, so we have an extra room in our house that has been our office/guest room for the past 2 years.  We love it and love having a place for people to stay when they come visit.  We have a futon on one wall and a desk on the other. 

It's functional space that could be used better, but I'm pretty much clueless when it comes to decorating, organizing, and interior design.  Which is why I'm asking for some help.  We'd like to keep using the space as an office/guest room, but we need to also use it as storage.  We are getting rid of our storage unit and need to find a way to creatively and semi-attractively store the stuff we just can't get rid of.  Anyone have ANY ideas?  My idea right now is to stack storage tubs against the wall, but that doesn't sound very appealing.  Does anyone have any tips/tricks or storage systems that have worked well for your homes?

P.S. I'm serious this time... unless it's terrible weather, we're having our Yard Sale this Saturday morning.  Time to get rid of some crap (and by that I mean, "Come! Buy our nice stuff!")  :-)  I'll let ya know how it goes.

5 comments:

  1. Good luck with the storage situation. I think bins is better than having it all visible. You could even cordon off a section of the room and hang a fabric curtain to keep the stack of bins separate from the rest of the room. Like a makeshift closet. I'm not super crafty or much of a decorator, but keeping clutter out of sight is my main goal. Hope the yard sale goes well. It's supposed to be a gorgeous day on Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, I'm being kind of serious, too; Target.com actually has some pretty cute decorative storage bins that probably aren't quite as functional or cheap as big plastic storage bins, but are a little more appealing to the eye. They have those cloth bins that could maximize on space, or they have some decorative trunks that maybe you could stack? Just an idea. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I'm not much of a creative person but there is one thing that has saved me in a sense. If you have any clothes, blankets, quilts, etc. that you have in bins and take up a lot of room, there are those Space bags that you can suck all of the air out of with a vacuum hose and it has saved me so much space from converting three bin fulls into one. Just an idea.
    Also, I am going to try this idea that I read for space. I am going to get one of those Privacy Dressing Screens and you can hide stuff behind it, but now reading the idea of a fabric curtain, that might work better so anyway. Sorry, just babbling. Hope ya find something!!! XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am not the person to ask. Sorry, friend. I was once told my living room looked as if a tornado had decorated. I'm sure you'll think of something and it will be fabulous. Take before and after pics! Good luck with the yard sale!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It all depends on the budget$$... :)
    The bins stacked with a curtain covering them in the corner or something is definitely one of the cheapest ways to go--you could even find a shower curtain that you like and hang it with ribbon from the ceiling (loop a matching ribbon through the hole in the top and staple/nail it up there).
    If you want to invest a little, there are some cool bunk bed/desk things (bed on top, desk on bottom) This could free up some floor space (which would be nice if you had the bins stacked behind a curtain in half the room).
    Oh! I almost forgot. As your former organizer extraordinaire I must ask, what is all this junk you are storing? Is it really worth the space in your house? Are they things you could sell now and buy again later when you actually have the space to use them? Is it sentimental stuff you should take a picture of and throw away? Just things to think about. Happy organizing!
    P.S. I'm more than willing to come do it all for you--buy me a plane ticket and I'm so there.

    ReplyDelete