Last week my Grandma Mays passed away. It was really unexpected. She had a stroke in October of last year and had been getting better slowly and steadily over the last several months. Monday morning she was feeling good and was having a good morning with my Grandpa when she got up to get some water, then had a heart attack, and couldn't be revived.
I was at work when my Dad called to let me know. Mostly I was in shock, and it was hard to function and actually get work done the rest of the day. Lots of tears and phone calls ensued over the next couple of days as it started to sink in a little more and we tried to get coordinating flights to all meet in Ohio for the funeral. Chris and I flew out on Thursday and met up with my family at the airport that evening. We all gathered at my Aunt & Uncle's house for dinner and visiting. It was so strange to have most of the family together and not have my Grandma there.
We had a private viewing on Friday with just our immediate family. I was so glad that we did, so that the first time we saw her wasn't there at the funeral with everyone else. It was nice to have some time set aside where we could grieve together. She looked so beautiful and peaceful, just as my Grandma always did. While we were there in Ohio, we also got to visit my Grandpa's new apartment, and see my cousin Meghan in her first football game half-time as part of the color guard.
Saturday morning was the public viewing followed by the funeral service and the graveside service. The viewing was scheduled to go from 10:30 - 12:30 with the funeral starting right after that, but people started showing up at 10:15 and kept coming until at least 1:00. There was a line stretching the length of the room and out the door waiting to greet my Grandpa, Mom and Uncle and pay their respects to my Grandma. It was a beautiful tribute to my Grandma. She was so good to everyone and touched so many people. In honor of my Grandma we also set out boxes of Esther Price chocolates. When Grandma came to visit, she always brought boxes of chocolates for everyone. They were her signature gift, and we all came to love those gold boxes tied with red ribbons. It seemed fitting to have them there, and I know that Grandma would've approved.
After the graveside service, we had a luncheon at one of the local churches and got to visit more with the family and friends that came. Then, we all took a much-needed break, changed clothes, took a short nap, etc. and then met back at my Aunt & Uncle's house where there was more food (because we eat when we grieve right?) and more visiting.
Sunday we went to my Grandpa's church for the release and farewell sermon from the Pastor for Care that had been so good to my Grandma. She had visited her, prayed with her, and helped her feel loved as she recovered from her stroke. She was retiring from her church work and last Sunday was her final sermon. I know my Grandpa really appreciated being there for that. After church and brunch at the Yankee Trace Country Club, we went our separate ways and headed home. (I don't want to jinx it, but our curse may finally be broken! We did have a short delay getting to Ohio, but we had zero delays on our return trip and even got into Salt Lake 5 minutes early! Yay!)
Although it was a busy weekend, it was really nice to have times for talking, sharing memories and funny stories, and enjoying being with family. I'm so glad that we got to be there.
Here's a link to the obituary... and here are a few pictures of my Grandma that I found last week:
I have a lot more, but those are just a few. I'm so blessed to have the gospel and to know where my Grandma is now and that she's free from pain and sadness. I know that she's happy and that I will see her again. Love you Grandma!
Tuesday, August 31, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I know it's always a sad reason for a trip, but some of the best family time is when everyone is together for a funeral. I'm glad you got to be there too. Your grandma was such a sweet lady. I'm glad I got to meet her. It sounds like the memorial was nice and lots of people got to come and pay their respects. I love that there were chocolates out too. My kind of lady. :)
ReplyDeleteI'm glad we were all there too. It was nice to be together. Speaking of chocolates--I haven't broken into the box mom bought me yet. When we unpacked it, I just stared at it and told Glen I almost didn't want to eat it because then it would be gone and I just want to keep it and look at it from time to time. But I'm doubtful that will last long :) Love you!
ReplyDeleteP.S. You should post that pic you found of Mom and Grandma at your wedding. And maybe we should frame it for Mom for Christmas...I can just see visions of her thinking of all those poor people ;)
ReplyDeleteI'm sorry for your loss. When a loved one passes, it is never an easy time. Just try to remember that she is in a better place and is happy. I'm glad that you have some great recent pictures with her. Chocolate is one of the best comforts ever. Sure love ya hun!!!
ReplyDelete