Wednesday, October 14, 2009

The Big 2-5

It's true folks... I turned 25 over General Conference weekend which, as Chris will quickly inform anyone who asks, is a quarter of a century old! Kinda scary, but also kinda exciting! My parents came in town for the weekend and it was so much fun! I don't even remember the last time I was with my parents on my birthday, so it was nice to celebrate with them.

Friday, thanks to my awesome boss who let me change my schedule around to only work half-day on Fridays, I met my parents at our house right after they arrived, and then we got to visit for a bit and my mom gave me the AMAZING quilt that she made me!! It's made from all my high school t-shirts, and I absolutely LOVE IT!! She did such a great job and quilted most of it by hand; what an awesome Mom I have!

Then we drove the Alpine Loop up through Provo Canyon to enjoy the beautiful fall colors. We stopped at the summit and walked around a bit before heading back down. After a quick dinner we got to go to the BYU vs. Utah State football game. Our seats were at the very top, no seriously... the only people behind us were the ones sitting on the bench that's part of the wall at the top of the stadium! It ended up being pretty awesome though. There really aren't any bad seats in the stadium, and we had plenty of room for our blankets without having people's knees in our backs! Plus, it was really easy to get in and out of our seats (to make a much-needed hot chocolate run at half time). BYU won, no surprise, and it was a great game! Thanks Dad for getting us all tickets!

Saturday we had tickets for the morning session of General Conference. (Thanks again to Dad!) It was so great to be able to hear the Prophet speak in person. Conference as a whole was really awesome and I learned a lot. It's so nice and comforting to be able to hear the Prophet and other leaders provide direction and counsel. After the first session, we had a really nice, big, and heavy lunch at Cracker Barrel which was delicious, but not conducive to staying awake during Conference! hahaha! Mom & I worked on a puzzle to keep us awake, while Dad & Chris "watched" conference with drooping eye-lids and nodding heads.

While the boys went to the Priesthood session that night, Mom & I started working on my birthday cake! Mom and Chris had come up with a crazy-fun concoction involving lots of chocolate. It was a chocolate cake with brownie in the middle. It ended up looking ridiculous, but it tasted DELICIOUS! We baked a chocolate cake, cut it in half, baked a pan of brownies and put them on top of the bottom layer of cake. Then we slathered hot fudge on the top piece of cake and used it like glue to hold that top layer to the layer of brownies. Then we frosted the top (and 1 side?!) with cream cheese frosting and added chocolate sprinkles! :-) YUM! The pictures don't do the cake justice, but they do let you know how much fun we had making it and how crazy it looked! (FYI- Poo-eze is a mix between "Poopsie", which I told Chris he wasn't allowed to call me b/c that's what my Grandpa calls my Grandma, but sometimes he does anyways, and "Wheeze", which is Chris' nickname for me... long story, hahaha!)


Sunday brought more Conference and more eating! We had the usual big breakfast and then Chris grilled us steaks for dinner. We also celebrated my birthday since I had to work on Monday (my actual birthday) and Mom & Dad were leaving Monday. It was a nice relaxing day.


On Monday Mom, Dad & Chris all came up to my work and took me out to lunch. My boss and his wife also came with us. It was really fun! We went to the Zermatt Resort in Midway and had lunch at this awesome little grill they have there. We walked around a bit and then Mark had a meeting so we left and the rest of us came back to the office. Mom, Dad & Chris went and got us all ice cream and we ate and visited for a bit until Mom & Dad had to go. They left from my office to go catch their flight back to Texas. I am so glad that they got to come up for Conference and my birthday. It was so awesome to have them here. Thanks again guys for everything!


That evening when I got home, my sweet hubby had decorated the front room with streamers and balloons and confetti and signs! It was so nice! Then he went and picked up Cafe Rio salads for us for dinner and we ate at home and watched Monday Night Football! There's nothing better! :-)







It was a great birthday and a great weekend! Now on to being 25.....

7 comments:

  1. You forgot to include the part that after you ate you went to another softball game to support your dear hubby--you're such a good wife :) I've been waiting for this post, thanks! I told Mom that's the cake I want for my birthday. It sounds amazing! I'm glad to know what 'poo-eze' is--I've been wondering since I saw the pic. And just so you know, Glen also finds humor in calling me 'Poopsie' b/c he knows he'll get a rise out of me...men!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE the quilt. Mostly because I can picture you in every single on of those shirts. It's awesome. And way to be Chris for the birthday surprise and balloons and all that. Dan's bday is next week and I needed some ideas :)
    How cool to go to Zermatt also.
    Yay for conference and birthdays and parents visiting and being 25. Have a fantastic week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like such a fun time!! Wish I could have been there to party with you! We'll have to do a belated birthday shindig for you when I make it down there next. Can your mom make me a quilt, too? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am crying right now because I miss you both so much:(

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awww happy birthday Jenn! I've always wanted to make one of these t-shirt quilts, and you may have just motivated me too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You do the best updates! I'm glad that your birthday was so wonderful! What a neat quilt, I love it! You and your Mom look so cute and look like you had a blast making your cake! I pat Chris on the back for the birthday balloons and surprise! Ü General Conference was so amazing. Love you both so much!

    ReplyDelete