Monday, July 26, 2010

Letters

We returned a week ago from a wonderful trip to Texas to see my family.  (Pictures and adventures coming soon.)  Rather than describe once again our flight problems, I've written a few letters expressing my sentiments after our most recent traveling experience:

Dear Frontier Airlines,
We appreciate your lower fares getting us to and from our destination for less than your competitors.  However, we were disappointed that you too cannot seem to depart or arrive On-Time.  We thought we'd give you a chance as we have had delay experiences with Delta, Continental, American Airlines, and United.  Maybe we're just bad luck, but we can't remember the last time we took a trip where there weren't flight problems.  Your slogan "Frontier...a whole different animal" is catchy, but not true.  You were just as bad as everyone else.
Sincerely,
The Passengers in Seats 13A and 13B


Dear Stewardess on the Houston to Denver Flight,
It's not our fault that you're having a bad day or that some morons don't care if their carry-on bag meets the size restrictions for your overhead bins.  Your bad attitude and snippy announcements only made people less willing to be nice to you.  Although we did appreciate your announcement about karma when asking people to stay seated and let those with connecting flights de-plane first, maybe you should've thought about your words a little bit more as you were saying them.  Maybe if you treat other people well, it'll come back to you too.  Just a thought...
Yours Truly,
The Passengers Who Didn't Put a Single Thing in the Overhead Bins


Dear Denver International Airport,
Are you a black hole for air travel?  It seems that flights passing through your gates are always delayed.  Why is this?  It doesn't make any sense to me that within the span of 10 minutes our gate can change twice and our departure time can change 3 times.  While waiting for our flight to leave (late, of course), we also heard your announcements for several other gate changes and flight delays, so we know we're not the only ones affected.  Maybe you're on a quest to keep travelers on their toes?  Or maybe you're just trying to make people spend more time in your restaurants and shops?  Whatever the reason behind your consistent tardiness, stop it now!  Might I suggest trying something new, such as having flights leave on time?  I guarantee that your visitors will be happier.
Thanks in advance,
The Wife of a Traveler Who Once Slept in Terminal C


Dear George Bush Intercontinental Airport (Houston),
It was after midnight on a Wednesday and the airport shouldn't have been all that crowded.   And most of the airport wasn't.  However, every flight arriving in that hour seemed to have been directed to the same terminal.  Baggage claim was a zoo, and there was a line waiting for passenger pick-up that was at least a mile long.  Your airport police and traffic directing officers wouldn't have to scream and yell at waiting cars to keep moving if you put a little forethought into your schedule.  Even using two terminals instead of just one would've been a huge improvement.  You wouldn't even need to schedule additional workers because with half as many cars, you could use less officers directing traffic at each terminal.  Maybe I don't know what I'm talking about, but it seems like that would've saved everyone involved a major headache.
Cordially yours,
Sweaty and Sticky Travelers Who've Been Away From the Humid Big-city for Too Long

7 comments:

  1. I really hope you sent those letters!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm...I'm starting to think you're cursed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. Maybe you are just bad luck! ;) It is super annoying to have so many travel issues. I also vote you send those letters.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i understand. every time i fly frontier, the flight attendants give me dirty looks when i ask for the rest of my can of soda. i'm paying over a hundred for the flight, i think i deserve the remaining fifty cents out of that can. lol.

    www.meganarratives.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. love your letters. hope your travels go smoother next time (or you could just drive.... jk!) :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Jen! You are comical! I love it! I am so glad that we got to see you guys. Thank you SO MUCH for meeting up with us. You guys are so wonderful and I miss you guys tons. I sure hope that traveling is smoother for you in the future. Love ya!!!

    ReplyDelete